Contents of Article
- What is a Mattress Topper?
- The Benefits of a Mattress Topper
- Types of Mattress Toppers
- How To Choose The Best Mattress Topper For You
- Best Mattress Toppers
- PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper – Best Overall
- Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper – Runner-Up
- Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Honorable Mention
- Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Queen Mattress Topper – Honorable Mention
- LUCID Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Honorable Mention
- And the Winner Is…
If you are not getting the sleep, you deserve every night your mattress may be to blame, but replacing your mattress can be a costly endeavor. Luckily there is a solution to replacing your mattress that can provide you with the quality nights rest that you deserve.
What is a Mattress Topper?
Mattresses are hardly ever designed for a specific individual, and they come in hundreds of different styles and levels of firmness. The sheer number of mattress brands and models sold today make it highly probable that you are not sleeping on the right mattress for you.
A mattress topper is a section of removable bedding that rests on the top of your mattress that can add and an additional layer of comfort and support to your existing mattress. Installing a mattress topper is easy. Simply unpack it from the packaging, heft it on to the mattress and roll it out.
Just as mattresses are manufactured in hundreds of different styles and firmness levels so are mattress toppers. In fact, a mattress topper is an affordable solution to a mattress that is too firm or too soft.
If your mattress is too firm, there is no need to replace with another expensive mattress. Simply purchase a mattress topper with the desired softness and place it on top of your existing mattress.
Mattress too soft? Add a firm mattress topper to hone in on your desired comfort level. A mattress topper can even be used to extend the life of an old mattress.
Over time mattresses begin to lose their firmness which can lead to an uneven sleep surface and pain in the lower back, legs, neck, and shoulders.
The right mattress topper can be used to fill in the low spots of an old mattress and provide the support that has been lost due to repeated use.
The best part about mattress toppers is that they are affordable. While many new mattresses cost upwards of $500, mattress toppers begin around $100 and rarely cost more than $400.
The Benefits of a Mattress Topper
The benefits of using a mattress topper in conjunction with your standard mattress are truly felt in the pain relief it provides users. A pain-free, quality sleep does wonders for your overall quality of health, but sleeping ailments can ruin the quality of sleep you receive.
Relief from Sleep Ailments. Mattress toppers can improve upon the level of sleep provided by your existing mattress for sleepers who suffer from:
A mattress topper allows you to personalize your sleep surface to the exact comfort level that provides the most relief from whatever sleep ailment you suffer from.
- Protect from Allergens and Mold. A mattress topper can also protect your mattress from germs and bacteria. When you sleep, especially when you’re sick, your body will sweat which is often then absorbed by the surface of your mattress. There it stays to ensure you get sick later.
A mattress topper that is hypoallergenic, antibacterial and moisture-resistant will protect from your sleep surface from allergens and symptom inducing mold.
- Cools Your Sleeping Surface. You may have noticed that your mattress, especially the memory foam mattresses tend to heat up during the night. Sleeping while extra warm is uncomfortable and can lead you to sweat and release germs and bacteria into your bed.
The higher quality mattress toppers are made of breathable materials that wick away moisture. Many mattress toppers include a cooling gel that prevents you from getting too hot.
- Added Comfort. Besides providing added support and comfort to anyone who suffers from a sleeping ailment, a mattress topper is just downright comfortable. Most are designed with the express purpose of infusing levels of comfort into your sleep that simply cannot be produced by a mattress on its own.
Types of Mattress Toppers
There are as many different combinations of mattress and mattress topper as there are combinations of different sheets and comforters.
The type of mattress topper you choose will ultimately be decided by personal preference, and the downsides of your current mattress.
- Cooling- Cooling mattress toppers are manufactured with a cooling gel at its core which keeps the entire bed cool throughout the night. Recommended for those who live in exceptionally warm climates, lack air conditioning or sweat when they sleep.
- Memory Foam- Memory foam is designed to conform to the contours of the body while remaining supportive of sensitive pressure points and the spine. Memory foam is exceptionally comfortable. Recommended for sleepers who desire a softer sleep surface, but still require support.
- Pillow Top- Pillow top mattress toppers are one of the more affordable types of mattress topper on the market. They consist of similar fillers and materials as your pillow and generally provide a soft sleep surface. Recommended for sleepers who prefer an enveloping sleep surface and a substantial “sink.”
- Latex- Latex mattress toppers are a versatile and environmentally conscious choice for your bed. Latex mattresses generally provide a firmer sleep surface and are recommended for those who require extra support.
- Feather- Similar to pillow top mattress toppers, feather mattress toppers typically contain goose feathering which is found pillows. Recommended for sleepers who prefer a soft bed. Not recommended for those who suffer from down allergies.
- Fiber- Fiber mattress toppers are designed to mimic the feel of a feather mattress topper with the added benefit of being hypoallergenic. Recommended for sleepers who prefer a firm bed.
- Wool- Wool mattress toppers are the most durable and resilient mattress toppers on the market. They are also exceptional at keeping you warm during the winter.
How To Choose The Best Mattress Topper For You
The best mattress topper for you will be the one that best supports your sleep posture while providing the desired level of comfort.
A neutral spine is key to obtaining a true quality of sleep, and the way in which you sleep will determine the type of support your mattress topper should provide.
- Side Sleeper- Sleeping on the side is generally considered the best way to ensure quality sleep and a neutral spine. However, side sleepers often grind their shoulders and hips into the bed which can cause pain in the lower back, hips, and shoulders.
Luckily most mattress toppers are very accommodating and supportive for side sleepers.
Memory foam and pillow top mattress toppers are recommended for side sleepers because of the support it provides for the curve of the spine while sleeping on your side.
- Back Sleeper- Back sleepers tend to feel discomfort in the shoulders and lower back due to their hips and shoulders simultaneously sinking into the mattress. This leaves the stomach slightly elevated and the spine unsupported.
A latex or fiber mattress type is recommended for back sleepers because they provide a firmer sleep surface and prevent the lower back from sinking into the bed.
- Stomach Sleeper- A firm sleep surface is recommended for stomach sleepers. Too soft of a mattress can allow your hips and shoulders to sink into the bed and cause uneven pressure on the neck and lower back.
Stomach sleepers would do best to purchase the thinnest mattress topper they can find.
Best Mattress Toppers
There are a lot of factors that determine whether a mattress topper can be called the best. The best mattress toppers are manufactured from high-quality materials, are affordable, and don’t sacrifice support for the sake of comfort.
To be considered the best, each mattress topper has to include a high level of comfort, be affordable on nearly any budget and support a neutral spine, but most importantly they must improve upon the quality of sleep provided by whatever mattress they are placed on.
PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper – Best Overall
The PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper is unlike any other mattress topper available today because it incorporates Talalay latex and copper into its intuitive design.
When combined, Talalay latex and natural copper enable The PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper to provide a cleaner, cooler, breathable night’s sleep that is exceptionally comfortable.
Copper and Talalay latex combine naturally to create an antibacterial, antimicrobial, hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and anti-fungal sleep surface. Copper also distributes heat evenly enabling the PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper to remain cool throughout the night.
The topper is designed to be plush which makes it ideal for sleepers her prefer a softer bed. However, the Talalay latex also keeps The PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper supportive and evenly supportive of the entire spine.
PangeaBed designed the Ultimate Copper Topper to be exceptionally durable and to even outlast the mattress its placed on. It is well suited for couples due to its reduced motion transfer.
The Talalay latex conforms to the body to provide extra support where needed and prevent the infamous “sinking feeling” that is innate in most mattress toppers.
The PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper is truly innovative when compared to other mattress toppers. By combining copper and latex, the sleep engineers at PangeaBed were able to design a mattress topper that is more comfortable than some of the most expensive mattresses.
Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper – Runner-Up
Owners of the Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper produced by Exceptionalsheets cannot stop raving about it. It’s designed to provide a high-quality, luxurious sleep that is levels above the other mattress toppers on the market.
Exceptionalsheets manufactured the Extra Plush Bamboo Fitted Mattress Topper to be incredibly soft which makes it the perfect addition to a mattress that is too firm. It is manufactured from eco-friendly bamboo that keeps you warm in the winter and cools in the summer.
The bamboo construction of the Extra Plush Topper also makes it hypoallergenic. It is also exceptionally comfortable and soft. These features, when combined make The Extra Plush Topper the ideal choice over feathered, and down bedding for allergy sufferers.
The importance of the feeling of support when you sleep can never be understated. The Extra Plush Bamboo Topper is filled with cluster fiber which accumulates into small, fluffy balls of fiber that keep the mattress fluffy, yet supportive.
What makes this mattress topper stand out against other mattress toppers is its durable and innovative design. The topper is stitched with a “double needle baffle box stitch” which prevents the filling from shifting and moving, thus ensuring the most even sleep surface possible.
Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Honorable Mention
It’s not often that a mattress topper can be associated with an avocado, but that isn’t the case with the Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
The Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper mattress topper is non-toxic and all-natural alternative to mattress toppers manufactured with harsh chemical sealers, dyes, and materials.
It’s made from the highest quality organic materials such as Dunlop latex and New Zealand wool which enable it to provide a comfortable, supportive sleep while remaining at a comfortable temperature throughout the night.
The manufacturer wrapped the Avocado Topper in an organic cotton cover and includes a durable canvas bottom that prevents it from sliding on top of your mattress. It’s also available in “plush” and “firm” options to accommodate all types of sleepers and doesn’t transfer motion which makes it ideal for couples and light sleepers.
On top of all these incredible features, The Avocado Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper relieves pain and discomfort better than most of the other mattress toppers available today.
The Dunlop latex provides a firm, springy supportive feel that doesn’t allow you to sink into the mattress, yet it’s comfortable enough to feel like you are sleeping on a cloud.
Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Queen Mattress Topper – Honorable Mention
The Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Queen Mattress Topper is one of the few mattress toppers to provide all the benefits of a memory foam mattress and exceptional comfort at an affordable price.
The Sleep Innovations includes a fiberfill comfort layer on the 4-Inch Dual Layer Queen Mattress Topper which gives the impression you are sleeping on a cloud. The fiberfill comfort layer attaches to the bottom of the 2-inch gel memory foam layer to prevent the mattress topper from shifting in the night.
The 4-Inch Dual Layer Queen Mattress Topper also performed well at maintaining a cool even temperature all night long thanks to the cooling gel memory foam layer. The gel memory foam layer is designed to alleviate back pain and relief pressure points by providing even support for the entire spine.
The feature that places the Sleep Innovations 4-Inch Dual Layer Queen Mattress Topper firmly on our list of the best mattress toppers is its otherworldly comfort level and simple, yet robust design which makes it well suited to accommodate all types of sleepers and sleep postures.
LUCID Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper – Honorable Mention
At only 2 inches thick the LUCID Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper is an excellent investment for stomach and back sleepers alike.
The gel infused ventilated memory foam contours to your body to provide added pressure point relief while remaining cool all night long.
This topper cannot be considered thick by any comparison, but that doesn’t take away from its exceptional comfort level.
It is also very affordable and manufactured from durable, high-quality materials that make it a contender with the more expensive toppers available today.
The LUCID Gel Infused Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper is a simple, affordable and well-rounded mattress topper that provides an amazing amount of comfort for all its simplicity, which is the reason we have included it on the list of best mattress toppers.
And the Winner Is…
The hands-down winner and best mattress topper is the PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper. The ingenuity and innovation that went into its design and manufacture are evident in its unbeatable comfort level.
Who knew that copper could be so effective at enabling such a comfortable night’s sleep? Out of all the mattress toppers available today the PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper is the only one to break out of the memory foam mold and try something new.
The Talalay latex provides excellent firmness yet is pliable enough to relieve uneven pressure on painful pressure points.
All of these reasons qualify the PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper for the title of the best mattress topper. However, it’s a simple feature of the PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper that truly makes it the winner.
The PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper simply provides the most refreshing night’s sleep of any other mattress topper sold today.
It’s just that comfortable. Aches and pains simply melt away into a comfortable, supportive night’s sleep on par with the most expensive luxurious mattresses.
Regardless of your sleep posture, comfort preferences or the ailments that affect the quality of your sleep the PangeaBed Ultimate Copper Topper is an excellent mattress topper that won’t disappoint.