Making your own DIY dry shampoo at home is a cost-effective and eco-friendly solution to keep your hair looking fresh and clean between washes. Explore 25 easy-to-follow homemade DIY dry shampoo recipes that cater to various hair types and colors. These recipes use natural ingredients such as baking soda, cocoa powder, arrowroot powder, and essential oils, ensuring a gentle and nourishing solution for your hair.
These homemade dry shampoo recipes are perfect for those seeking a chemical-free alternative to store-bought dry shampoos. With step-by-step instructions and ingredient lists, you can easily customize your own dry shampoo to suit your hair’s specific needs. From simple two-ingredient recipes to luxurious blends infused with essential oils, this collection of DIY dry shampoo recipes has something for everyone.
Not only can you create dry shampoos for personal use, but you can also find recipes suitable for pets like dogs. Whether you have dark or light hair, need a dry shampoo without baking soda or cornstarch, or want to promote hair growth, there is a recipe tailored to your requirements. Get ready to embark on a journey of natural hair care and discover the benefits of homemade DIY dry shampoo recipes today!
Benefits of DIY Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoo is a convenient and effective way to freshen up your hair without using water. It saves you time, money, and hassle especially when you are in a hurry or have limited access to a shower. But did you know that you can make your own dry shampoo at home with simple and natural ingredients? Explore the benefits of DIY dry shampoo and how to make it for different hair colors.
What is Dry Shampoo, and How Does It Work?
Dry shampoo is a powder or spray that absorbs excess oil and dirt from your hair and scalp, making it look cleaner and fresher. It also gives your hair some extra volume and texture, making it easier to style. Dry shampoo can be used between washes when you are traveling, camping, working out, or just feeling lazy.
Dry shampoo works by soaking up the sebum, which is the natural oil produced by your scalp. Sebum helps moisturize and protect your hair, but too much of it can make your hair look greasy and limp. By applying homemade dry shampoo to your roots and brushing it through your hair, you can remove the excess sebum and restore the balance of your hair.
Why Make Your Own Dry Shampoo?
You should make your own dry shampoo for many reasons instead of buying a commercial one. Some of the benefits of DIY dry shampoo are:
- It is cheaper. You can easily make your own homemade dry shampoo with ingredients that you already have in your kitchen or pantry, such as cornstarch, cocoa powder, or cinnamon. A homemade dry shampoo can cost you pennies per use, compared to several dollars for a store-bought one.
- It is healthier. Commercial dry shampoos often contain chemicals, such as alcohols, propane, isobutane, and fragrances, that can be drying, irritating, or harmful to your hair and scalp. Some of these chemicals can also harm the environment when they are released into the air or washed down the drain. Homemade dry shampoo can be made with natural and organic ingredients that are gentle and nourishing for your hair and scalp.
- It is customizable. You can make your own dry shampoo according to your hair color, type, and preference. You can adjust the amount and type of powder, add essential oils for fragrance and benefits, or experiment with different combinations of ingredients. You can also make small batches of dry shampoo that will last you for a few uses, so you don’t have to worry about it going bad or losing its effectiveness.
Tips and Tricks for Using DIY Dry Shampoo
- Choose the right powder for your hair color. You can use arrowroot powder, corn starch, or rye flour for any hair type, but they might make dark hair look ashy. To avoid this, you can add cocoa powder or charcoal powder to match your hair color. Redheads can use cinnamon for a natural tint.
- Apply the dry shampoo with a makeup brush. This will help you distribute the powder evenly and avoid clumps or messes. You can use a large blush brush or a powder brush and lightly dip it into the jar with the dry shampoo. Tap off the excess and gently dust it onto your scalp.
- Let the dry shampoo sit for a few minutes. This will allow the powder to absorb the oil and dirt from your hair. You can also massage it into your roots with your fingers for better results. After a few minutes, brush out the excess powder with a natural bristle brush.
- Use water if you have natural hair. Natural hair needs moisture, which dry shampoo can take away. To avoid this, you can dilute the powder with water and pour it into a spray bottle. Then you can spray it onto your scalp and let it dry before styling.
- Store the dry shampoo in a glass jar or a salt shaker. This will keep the dry shampoo fresh and easy to use. You can also label the jar or shaker with the ingredients and the date of making. You can store the dry shampoo for up to six months in a cool and dry place.
1. DIY Foolproof Dry Shampoo
High-quality dry shampoos can cost you very high to purchase from the store. This DIY foolproof dry shampoo is easy to make with many natural ingredients in your kitchen. You can save your planet and your damn scalp from the chemicals in store-bought shampoos. Get the ingredients you need, like cornstarch or arrowroot powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, one spice container, essential oils, and an old makeup brush. Follow the complete tutorial here for instructions! chelseapeyton
2. Homemade Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Upgrade your hair care routine with a DIY Cinnamon Cocoa Powder Dry Shampoo specifically designed for brunettes. This simple and cost-effective solution uses only three kitchen ingredients: cocoa powder, cornstarch, and cinnamon. To create this dry shampoo, measure out equal parts of each ingredient, mix them together, and store the blend in an airtight container. Apply the mixture to your roots with a makeup brush, massage it into your hair and scalp, and comb it through for a refreshed look. This homemade formula not only absorbs excess oil but also adds texture, volume, and a delicious cake-like scent, making it a versatile addition to your hair care arsenal. brit co
3. How to Make Dry Shampoo at Home
Don’t rely on the brands of dry shampoos when you can make a cheap and simple homemade dry shampoo home. The best thing about this recipe is that you can customize it with your favorite essential oil so that it smells amazing when you use it. You need just a few materials in your hand to promote healthy locks. The ingredients for this dry shampoo are arrowroot, cocoa powder, lavender essential oil, and a spicy ylang-ylang scent. For complete details, follow the step-by-step plan here! ascensionkitchen
4. Easy Dry Shampoo Recipe
Homemade dry shampoo is easy to make with two hands without spending a huge amount of cash on the shampoos available in the stores. This is s quick project allows you to grab a few ingredients you already have to make this functional recipe in around five minutes. The bonus is that you use this recipe to make a handmade gift for your loved ones on a special day. You will need only two key ingredients: organic cornstarch, cocoa powder, a bowl, and a spoon for mixing. zerowastener
5. Make Your Own Nontoxic Dry Shampoo
If you don’t want those ingredients found in store-bought dry shampoos to affect your scalp, this DIY of making your non-toxic dry shampoo is just the ticket. You can replace your brand shampoo with this natural DIY recipe that effectively makes your hair look fresh. Plus, you know the ingredients personally going into this homemade shampoo product. Customize this recipe with your favorite essential oil and enjoy clean hair without washing them. The needed items are organic arrowroot powder, bentonite clay, organic cocoa powder, lavender, peppermint, and rosemary essential oil. abeautifulmess
6. DIY Dry Shampoo for Any Hair Color
This homemade DIY dry shampoo for any hair color works well for light, dark and even vivid hair colors. The best thing about this recipe is that it is quite easy to make and will not leave any white sheet behind. You likely have all the ingredients in your kitchen to work on this recipe in your spare time. Once you have made this, you will surprise by the results. The materials you will need for this recipe are arrowroot powder or cornstarch, additional coloring powders, and a few drops of your desired essential oil. wholefully
7. Making Dry Shampoo With Cornstarch
Dry shampoos are better for your hair to make it look clean when you don’t want to wash them for a few days. Not only do they help your hair to make it look fresh and grease-free, but they also cost you nothing to make right in the comfort zone of your home. Luckily you already have all the needed materials in your pantry at this very moment. The list of ingredients includes arrowroot powder or organic cornstarch, a few drops of your desired essential oil, a small jar, and an old makeup brush. wellnessmama
8. Dry Shampoo with Rosemary and Lavender
DIY dry shampoo is both cheap to make and effective on your hair. The best thing about making your own is customizing the recipe with a few ingredients to suit your hair. With some easy-to-find materials, this recipe will take just a few minutes to make in your home. It will cost you nothing but greatly impact your hair without washing them. The items you will need for this recipe are arrowroot starch, rosemary essential oil, lavender essential oil, bentonite clay, organic cornstarch, organic raw cocoa powder, a bowl and a spoon. gardentherapy
9. Best DIY Two Ingredients Dry Shampoo
Here is this secret weapon for making the best DIY two ingredients dry shampoo perfect for your hair when you have to skip the shower. Due to being made with easy-to-find natural ingredients, this recipe is perfect for reducing oil and grease from your scalp. If you are ready to transform your greasy hair into locks that make your hair feel fresh, get the ingredients you will need. Like arrowroot powder, cacao powder, cinnamon or activated charcoal, drops of your favorite essential oil, a mixing bowl, a spoon, and an airtight jar. mommypotamus
10. Natural Cocoa Powder Dry Shampoo
When you have been working out and don’t have much time to shower, this natural cocoa powder dry shampoo is perfect for making your hair feel fresh and smell great this summer. You only need a few natural ingredients from your kitchen to make this recipe in mere minutes. Plus, you know the ingredients going into your beauty product. Use this handmade dry shampoo as a gift for your loved ones. The needed items are organic cornstarch or arrowroot powder, drops of your favorite essential oil for scent, cinnamon, and unsweetened cocoa powder. regainyour
11. Dry Shampoo Recipe for Brunettes
Busy people do not have much time to wash their hair. The solution of this problem is to use this dry shampoo recipe for brunettes. This recipe is really easy to make and something that freshens up your hair. It will absorb the right amount of oil from your scalp and soften them. Because you already have the ingredients in your home, this recipe will cost you nothing and can be a great personalized gift for your loved ones. You will need cornstarch, baking soda, and drops of your favorite essential oil. acultivatednest
12. DIY Makeshift Dry Shampoo
Sometimes washing your hair daily can make them more vulnerable. Use this DIY makeshift shampoo to make your hair fluffier when you don’t want to shower. Not only is this a great alternative to store-bought expensive dry shampoos, but it is also natural to avoid using any chemical harmful to your hair. It will work well and will be left your hair feeling soft and clean. Are you ready to put your hands on this project? If yes, then you can check out the list of supplies and straightforward instructions here! ablossominglife
13. How Do You Make Arrowroot Dry Shampoo
Dry shampoos are everywhere in the market. But it is still too daunting to find a natural dry shampoo when you have many brands around. The simple solution is to DIY your own this easy-to-make arrowroot dry shampoo without spending a whole lot of money on store-bought options. Not only is it cheap, but it is also effective for your hair to absorb the oil and grease. You will need organic arrowroot powder, baking soda, organic cacao powder or organic carob powder, organic oat straw powder, organic rosemary and organic bergamot essential oil. mountainrose
14. DIY Dry Shampoo Without Baking Soda
Making your own is a great option if you have an allergic scalp to various chemicals found in the brand’s dry shampoos. This DIY dry shampoo without baking soda is perfect for clean and soft hair without wasting it regularly. This dry shampoo for dark hair is so easy to make in just a few moments and requires natural ingredients you have in your kitchen exactly this moment. The needed ingredients are arrowroot powder, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and drops of your favorite essential oil for fragrance. practicallyfun
15. Natural Dry Shampoo Recipe
Most people don’t always have time to wash their hair, so it’s perfect to have dry shampoo on hand. But instead of throwing your money on market dry shampoos, DIY your own to avoid any harmful chemicals going to your skin. The benefit of DIYing your own is that you know the ingredients going into your shampoo, and you can customize them. You can make a personalized version of this shampoo to give a gift to your loved ones on any occasion. Cornstarch or arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, and two or three drops of orange essential oil are required ingredients. treasuredtips
16. DIY Dry Shampoo Without Cornstarch
Store-bought dry shampoos are packed with tons of toxins and cost you very high to purchase. This DIY dry shampoo without cornstarch is so easy to DIY with a handful of natural ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Not only will it make your hair look clean and soft, but it will also make them fluffier when you use this handmade dry shampoo. Surprise your dear ones with this homemade dry shampoo that makes a great gift. Watch the list of supplies here according to the hair color you have. foodmatter
17. Homemade Dry Shampoo for Hair Growth
Are you the one who loves to make your beauty products in the comfort of your home? If yes, then you have this homemade dry shampoo for hair growth. This simple DIY will make stunning beauty products you will love to display on your makeup shelves. You don’t need to wash your hair regularly, use this dry shampoo to make them look clean when you have a busy schedule. The ingredients you required for this recipe are arrowroot powder, cocoa powder, drops of lavender essential oil, and measuring cups. nourishing
18. Baking Soda + Corn Starch Dry Shampoo
Washing your hands daily is not right. Overwashing your hair will make them vulnerable and damage the hair texture. Use this baking soda and cornstarch dry shampoo to clean your hair without washing them. It will make them soft, and the best part is that this recipe promotes your hair growth. If you really want to give a try to this amazing recipe, gather the supplies you will need. Like baking soda, cornstarch, a shaker bottle, and measuring cups. Grab the detailed plan here for complete directions! gimmesome
19. 3 Ways to Make a Dry Shampoo
Why spend a cost at store-made dry shampoos when you can DIY your own at a fraction of the cost? Yes, it is possible to make your hair soft and clean without washing with this three-way to make dry shampoo plan. This DIY is something that anybody can tackle to save time and money. If you have a party to attend soon, this could be a great handmade gift you can make yourself on the cheap. You can check out the entire list of supplies and step-by-step instructions here! helloglow
20. DIY Dry Shampoo for Dogs
Summer has arrived, and it’s time to spend more hours in the backyard with your family. This DIY dry shampoo for dogs is super easy to make with some natural ingredients you most likely have already in your pantry. Not only is this dry shampoo will make your dog clean, but it also makes the dog smell fresh. Don’t need to spend a fortune at store-bought expensive dry shampoos anymore. The ingredients are baking soda, cornstarch, skin-safe vanilla fragrance oil, a salt and pepper shaker, one mixing bowl with a spoon, and a free doggy printable. smartschool
21. Chocolate Mint Dry Shampoo Recipe
If you shampoo your hair twice a week to avoid overwashing your hair, this chocolate mint dry shampoo recipe is perfect for you. This recipe is really simple to make and effective on your hair to make them clean. When you don’t want to wash your hair, use this handmade natural dry shampoo that will leave your hair smelling amazing and soft. To work on this recipe, you will need a bunch of ingredients in your pantry. Get cornstarch or arrowroot powder, a few drops of peppermint essential oil, a measuring cup, a spoon, and a sanitized jar. momprepares
22. DIY Dry Shampoo for Blondes
Without washing your hair daily, make them look clean and soft with this easy-to-make dry shampoo for blondes. This is a simple recipe that anybody can create right in their home in no time. With a handful of needed ingredients, it will make your hair fluffy and will remove any extra dirt and oil from your scalp. For this functional recipe, fill your hand with the needed materials. The materials are cornstarch, arrowroot powder, 20 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, one bowl and a container. simplystacie
23. Lavender + Rosemary Dry Shampoo
Do you love to wash your hair less often? If yes, this lavender and dry rosemary shampoo is a great way to maintain the clean look of your hair without washing them daily. This recipe includes some basic ingredients for your kitchen and will take just a few minutes to make. Once you have learned to make this dry shampoo, you will never go to buy an expensive one from the store. You will need to make this recipe: arrowroot powder, raw cocoa powder, and a few drops of lavender and rosemary essential oil. ashleycrib
24. Easy to Make Dry Shampoo
Creating your dry shampoo is easy to absorb the access oil and dirt from your hair. This DIY of easy-to-make dry shampoo will make a quick dry shampoo in your home when you have run out of your store-bought dry shampoo. On the other hand, you can replace your toxic store-bought dry shampoo with this natural version. It will cost you nothing but effectively clean your hair without washing it. You can decorate it at home to make a personalized gift for your loved ones. Check the tutorial here for the list of materials and instructions! thenourishing
25. Make Your Own Dry Shampoo at Home
Homemade all-natural dry shampoo recipe will take just a few minutes to make with a bunch of ingredients enclosed in your pantry. It’s a great way to refresh your hair after working out. It’s a great handmade alternative to store-made costly dry shampoos and will make your hair soft and clean. It is also useful for people with disabilities who have difficulty taking showers alone. Start picking the things you need to make this right in the comfort of your home. Follow the plan here for the list of items and straight instructions!
Related DIY Beauty Recipes to Try:
Learn how to make your own DIY beauty products with our easy and affordable recipes! Save money by creating homemade lotions, scrubs, masks, and more.
- DIY Shaving Creams: Create a luxurious lather with these adorable DIY shaving cream recipes. From honey and shea butter to coconut oil and almond milk, find the perfect blend for your skin.
- Homemade Lip Scrub: Rejuvenate your lips with these simple and natural lip scrub recipes. Achieve softer, smoother lips right from the comfort of your home.
- DIY Bath Bombs: Indulge in self-care with these relaxing DIY bath bomb recipes. Create personalized scents and colors for a spa-like experience at home.
- Foaming Hand Soap Recipes: Promote hygiene and health with these easy foaming hand soap recipes, packed with natural ingredients for safe and effective cleaning.
- Homemade Body Scrubs: Invigorate your skin with these useful DIY body scrub recipes. Easy, cost-effective, and perfect for an at-home spa day.
- DIY Soap Recipes: Master the art of soap making with these cheap soap recipes. Experiment with natural ingredients for a bespoke and eco-friendly product.
- DIY Deodorant: Control body odour naturally with these easy-to-follow deodorant recipes. Say goodbye to harsh chemicals and hello to fresh, homemade scents.
- Professional Bath Bombs: Impress your friends with this best DIY professional bath bomb recipe. Craft luxurious bath bombs that rival store-bought versions.
- DIY Sunscreen: Protect your skin naturally with these quick homemade sunscreen recipes. Learn to craft safe, effective, and eco-friendly sun protection at home.
- Beard Oil Recipes: Pamper your beard with these nourishing DIY beard oil recipes. Enjoy a well-groomed and healthy beard with minimal effort and cost.
In conclusion, this collection of 25 homemade DIY dry shampoo recipes provides a range of options to keep your hair fresh and clean between washes. With these recipes, you can make your own dry shampoo using common household ingredients. Whether you prefer a powder or spray formula, various recipes are tailored to your specific needs. By using natural and easily accessible ingredients, you can save money while avoiding potentially harmful chemicals found in commercial products. Embrace the convenience and benefits of homemade dry shampoo with these simple and effective recipes.
DIY dry shampoo is a great way to refresh your hair and scalp without washing it with water and shampoo. It can help you save time, money, and water while still keeping your hair clean and beautiful. It can also help you extend the life of your hairstyle and prevent damage from over-washing.
You can make your own DIY dry shampoo at home using natural ingredients that suit your hair type and color. You can also customize it with different essential oils for added fragrance and benefits.
However, DIY dry shampoo is not a substitute for washing your hair with water and shampoo. You should still wash your hair regularly to remove any residue or buildup from the dry shampoo and maintain your hair health.
Also, be careful of any side effects or allergic reactions that may occur from using DIY dry shampoo. Do a patch test before using any new recipe, and avoid using it if you have any scalp issues or sensitivities.